Jun 8, 2009

A bit of a non-event

McDonalds Classic Weekend, 6-7 June
Saturday: 84km HCP Oura Rd- Wanabadgerry-Junee Loop
Sunday: Criterium -40 minutes + 3 laps around the Wagga Wagga CBD

The drive in to the start of the HCP was through thick fog with very limited visibility at times, but as it turned out that was the least of my concerns!

As we went over the start of the rollers, I discovered that my gears were just not wanting to work with me. As I tried to find a gear to get over the roll, I slipped further and further away from the front of our group. I then found myself rolling along alone thinking it was going to be a very long day... I jumped in with the next bunch, but the same thing happened on the next roller- 10 gears on my cassette and nothing decent to race on! Shortly after that I called it a day and turned back for the start line. I hate DNF-ing, but this really was the most sensible option. On the brightside, I would be fresh for the crit tomorrow!

The crit was around the Wagga CBD and thankfully by the time we rolled out the standing water from the overnight rain had dried and the threat of rain passed (for the time being). I rate the course around Wagga, lots of left hand corners and on the whole pretty fast. My plan was to stay safe (always top priority when racing with D-grade men), maybe try for an intermediate sprint, but mainly be there at the end (I was still getting my racing legs back, afterall).

Some parts of the plan worked- I dodged the crash and got to the end of the race, finishing with the bunch. Unfortunately, I found myself giving the boys a bit too much space in the corners and undoing all the good work I had done moving up the bunch. The reality was that the more I could feel my wrist during the race, the more hesitant I was, though I did get over that as the race went on... Lots of lessons learnt, and that was that!

The Suzuki Uno boys did well, taking C grade (Bayden Burke) and 1-2 in B-grade (Sam Genge, John Forrest).

No comments: