May 3, 2010

Such a fine line

Canberra Tour
Friday 30 April- Sunday 2 May

This weekend, of all weekends, I lost the battle of the work-bike balance. With no indicators prior, I can only assume that the stress of the last couple of weeks at work finally caught up with me :(

I raced on Friday and even though I was about 4 minutes down (who was responsible for having us finish at the top of Honeysuckle Creek?!!) I was really really happy with how things had gone on the day. I had had some very specific personal goals to achieve and I ticked all the boxes. I was totally geed for Saturday's stage.


The profile for Friday's stage- what a nice way to finish a race!!

I did all the right things for recovery. Had a lovely evening relaxing with Davina, her Dad and Matt. And got to bed in time to ensure a good night's sleep. It all came undone at about 630 on Saturday morning when I woke up feeling like I was swallowing razor blades my throat was so sore, a resting HR that was through the roof and swollen glands. A phone call to Brian confirmed that I was not to get on a bike. Hello cold, goodbye racing weekend.

I know it wasn't an event that was well suited to me, but I was really looking forward to the challenge of the weekend and learning as much as I could from it. C'est la vie, that is about all I can say.

Well done to all the girls who raced so well. Jo Hogan for taking an impressive win, Lisa Jacobs in second and Bron Ryan in 3rd. Bec Domange has a good write up as well. To the guys that I fed in Saturday's stage, I hope that you achieved what you were aiming for.

Time to rest up and come back bigger and better (figuratively, not literally!)

No comments: