Jan 14, 2011

Making my list and checking it twice

(Sorry I did write this well before Christmas but I haven't had a chance to post it.)

NSW Track Championships- Individual Pursuit and Omnium

After the frustration the Points Race the week before I was determined that my remaining events of the NSW track championships would be better.

Whilst a silver medal in the pursuit would be considered a good result for many, for me it was a disappointing night. In short, it wasn’t my evening and my times were disappointing. The biggest achievement of the night was recognizing a number of issues that have probably been present since I started riding the pursuit, but we will have to wait until next season to rectify those.

Three days later it was back to Dunc Gray for the Omnium. With 6 very different events to get through in one day the key to surviving the day was to have my head in the right place and to be organized. Matt, the super soigny, was on hand to ensure I was fed, hydrated and that right gear was on my bike for each event. Supercoach Brian was on hand with race tactics and guidance, and I had my list of things to achieve in each round.

With the above combination, the result was domination of the event. In summary I won the flying lap, the 2km Individual Pursuit, the Points Race and the Scratch race. I was second in the elimination race and 3rd in the 500m TT. The highlights including getting the flying lap text book accurate, riding schedule for the pursuit and taking complete control of the scratch race. By the time we got to the 500m I had sufficient points buffer that I only had to finish the event to take the gold- which is probably just as well as a) the 500m is my worst event and b) I was starting to get a bit fatigued!

Three events and a complete set of medals from the NSW Track Champs this year. More importantly, a lot of lessons learnt and things to improve.

No comments: