Nov 26, 2012

Confinement


I have been in confinement for 3 weeks now.


According to the Public Service Enterprise Agreement, I should have been confined for the 6 weeks before my due date, but I was given approval to stay at work for another 3 weeks, with the blessing of my doctor and the relief of my supervisor! I don't want to go into the ridiculousness of the use of the term "confinement", rather what I have been doing to stop myself developing cabin fever! Not being very good at sitting still, I have been using the time to do a whole of things that I haven't really had time to do thanks to long work hours or hours on a bike.


Watching the construction of the extension.
You can follow along with that at http://doolamaticdrs.wordpress.comhttp://doolamaticdrs.wordpress.com. Actually, truth be told, there is only so much watching of this I can do. It is much more fun to see the progress at the end of each day, or watch the cat find things to play with amongst the building.
Fred playing with the end of the string lines in the extension

Finishing off knitting and crochet projects in time for the new arrival and Christmas.

Knitted teddy ready for our new addition.

Knitted juggling balls for my nephew

Fred helping me with the strap for my niece's bag

Crochet handbag for my niece
 Finish the renovation and decoration of the nursery.
As part of the overall house renovation, the Engineer has been doing a lot of work on the existing bedrooms, including new built in  robes, new floors and painting (in progress photos over on Doolamatic Drs). Once that was done, it was time to deck it out for a little person. Thanks to Stef for the wallpaper frieze.
Freshly painted, re-floored and with nursery frieze

All ready for the new arrival
More nursery in anticipation



Make curtains.
Whilst I am confident working with wool, needles and hooks, the sewing machine and I are not the greatest of friends. Not being one to shy away from a challenge I have taken some time in the last couple of weeks to strike up a great relationship with my sewing machine. So far my confinement achievement has been fully lined curtains for the nursery!  Next up I will start on a patch work quilt for the little person!
New blockout curtains in the nursery
Fabric supplies for patchwork quilt
Finishing our Christmas shopping
OK, I haven't quite finished this one, but I only have 2 or 3 things left to get. I am not the biggest fan of shopping at the best of times and the thought of entering the mall with a new born in December is making me cringe, so I have been using this time to get most things done.
Baking
In amongst this has been my usual activities- catching up with friends, baking, catching up on several series' worth of Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire, watching a whole lot of test cricket, and doctors' visits.  There was also a spontaneous trip to IKEA when it became apparent I didn't need to be in proximity to the hospital! This also featured a stop at the Robertson Pie Shop on the way home- always a treat!

Officially I am 39 weeks and 5 days. I am trying not to make too many plans or appointments, "just in case". If you are in my contacts list, you will likely get a message when things start to happen, until then, I will continue to keep myself occupied and stay out of the heat that has just suddenly hit us in Canberra!


1 comment:

Herry Johnson said...

Proflecksurfacing bargains in epoxy flooring which radically enhances the look of your space. Get Epoxy bonds to your solid, fills the breaks and makes a sturdy. Here are additionally choices for the epoxy flooring gold drift, decorative concrete gold coast, epoxy chip flooring, modern industrial facility floors, shop flooring, piece flooring, carport flooring gold drift, epoxy carport flooring Brisbane and cement reemerging gold drift.