Nov 15, 2009

VCC Time Trial Series Race #1

It used to be that over summer the VCC would run a time trial every second Monday. The course was 12km, out and back from the entrance to SFP on Uriarra Rd. Last season I would generally do these on a fixed gear and after a pretty big session at the track. They were good training and a good gauge of progress. This season, we have a new format and it is perfect for Nationals preparation. The series is now monthly, it still on Uriarra Rd, but it just shy of 21km (it is advertised as 19km, but I think that is to trick people to come race!!), and the clincher is that it includes two of the three sisters in an out and back format.

I wasn’t sure how well I would perform over this course, but I was going to have a good go at it! Unlike days earlier in the week, there was no wind to speak of, such a nice change for Canberra at this time of the year. It was fairly warm, but not yet hot, all in all pretty good conditions for a TT.

On the whole I am pretty happy with 99% of this race. I managed to find some good rhythm and speed for most of the race, although I did find myself a touch over-geared towards the top of the 3rd sister just before the KOM mark. I also let myself get distracted by the car that decided he didn’t want to wait for me to go past the T-intersection, but then forgot to accelerate when he turned onto the road! So whilst I did have some awesome speed (approaching 70km/hr coming down the 2nd sister) I had to wash a whole lot off to avoid running into the back of said car on the uphill before the turn. As a result of all of this I missed the turn cone by about 2m- total beginner error there!

In the end, I was second to Alex (Carle) by 3 seconds, in a time of 34:45, which I was pretty satisfied with. It is a nice bench mark. Now, to go faster next time!

No comments: