Jan 4, 2012

Wangaratta 2011

30 December 2011

Bit late, sorry, but better late than never.

Victorian Christmas Carnivals wrapped up in Wangaratta this year.  As noted yesterday, it is a big track- 500m, and fairly flat, but also fairly fast. (Sorry no photos- no one got a decent one, if you find a post from racing at Wagga, that is what the Wang track looks like.)

Unfortunately, my top end speed decided it was time to get ready for New Year's and stayed in the back of the car.  Of course this meant I could only manage minor places, or that place just off the podium in just about every race!  Is there anything more frustrating?!

It may not have helped my cause that their seemed to be a bit of a sprinters flavour to the program!  Including horror of horrors, yet another keirin, followed by a second impromptu one at the end of the night instead of a longer race!  3 keirins for me in 2 days, what has the world come to!

Regardless of my above moaning, the night was still a lot of fun.  Especially the informal "betting ring" between Dad and Matt, which seemed to be purely based on bike colour or skinsuit design!

Despite not being able to win a wheelrace to save myself, the 4 days were a blast and there was a wad of cash in my wallet for the trip home!

Big thanks to my fam' for the beds to crash in between races and for coming to the races too (that includes you too L & J!). And good job to super soigny, mechanic and chauffeur, Dr Matt! 






No comments: