Dec 30, 2011

Shepparton 2011

29 December 2011

The Shepparton track is what I imagine the Narrabundah track is meant to be like.  It is 333m, concrete but unlike 'BundaDome it is relatively smooth and sedate. It does also share the same wind though it seemed!!

There was a big program of racing for the A grade girls on the night- 6 races to get through.  The first 3 were largely for the sprinters, including an invitational keirin.  Having never raced a keirin before I was grateful for the hot tips from Danny's sister Bec, who jumped in to hold me for the start.  They didn't do me much good, although I did manage a 4th.

The early part of the night was a reminder of a couple of things- 1) I am definitely an enduro- short races really aren't my thing and 2) indecision is a kind of Darwininsm on the track! Much of the night was spent 1 position out of the money, until the races got longer.  I was pretty happy to finish 2nd in the Omnium Points Score and in the Victorian 5km Championship.  (This Omnium is made up of an event at each of the Christmas Carnivals, with points allocated for 1st to 4th, winner is the won with the most points, I think I am in 3rd overall after tonight).
Well done to Shannon McCurley who got me on the line to take the win and to Ruby who picked up third

There is one day of racing to go in Wangaratta.  Apparently the track there is 500m!  But that is offset by the claim that it is the fastest flat track in Australia!

No comments: