Jan 14, 2010

Buninyong- home of the AORCC and...

a polite way to say b#%@$*d.

National TT Championships
6 January 2010

The course used to determine the Australian TT Champ is brutal. The start climbs for ~2.5km, not too steep, but just dragging, dragging, dragging, then it undulates predominantly downhill, then it undulates predominantly uphill, with some extra leg zap before the final very very fast 5km downhill run to the finish. It is 28km, it is exposed and the wind likes to blow, and the roads are rough and dead in many places. But, when the adrenaline is pumping and you have gone over those things in your head for the weeks before hand, race day brings out something special.



With the climb at the start I had been told that this course really wouldn't suit me and not to be too ambitious with my goals for the race. I hadn't raced the course before, but had ridden over it on a previous NTID training camp and I had spent a bit more time on it after the Victorian track titles, so I knew what I was in for. I even lost ~8kg before the race to be more attractive to the course! And, I convinced myself that me and the Buninyong course were compatible.

I would love to be able to tell you that this was my best race of the year, but it wasn't quite. Whilst I am satisfied that I did the best I could do on the day, there are things that can be improved (there always are!). It wasn't a day that I got on the bike and everything was perfect- for the most part I felt good, but I have felt better. It is hard to explain, but I think, dear reader, that if you are in any way competitive you will know what I am trying to say!

(photo from WomensCycling.net)

In the end I finished 10th in the elite women, a result that I am not unhappy with. Looking at the times just above me, if I hadn't had a nufty moment on the left-hander at the railway station it is possible that I might have placed a little further up. Maybe.

I was never expecting to be right at the pointy end, that spot is reserved for Amber Halliday (gold), Bridie O'Donnell (silver), Carly Light (bronze).



But I was pleased to be the first person to cross the line for the day (yes, I caught all the people in front of me), and I was also pretty stoked to stay leader for considerable length of time :)

I have some unfinished business in Buninyong and I reckon that this course and I might be compatible after all :)

Special thanks to the ACTAS support crew- Glenn Doney (head coach), Joel Stewart (mechanic), Susie Boer (mechanic), Sarah (masseuse) & Joel Ryan (chauffeur to the course), and my coach, Pothole.

Congratulations to Alex Carle for taking bronze in the U23 category (and beating me by 28 seconds).


Thanks also to my support vehicle- Al Matthews and Ben Hill- I'm glad I didn't need you guys but I appreciate that you were behind me, and thanks for all your vocal support from the car!

No comments: