Aug 20, 2010

Third day's a charm

Day 3- Criterium, Geelong Botanic Gardens

Waking to rain, and a forecast of more rain and increasing wind, part of me was keen to race, another part keen to just call it a weekend and start heading home. However, since conditions were no where near as horrific as the weather that resulted in the final day of this even being cancelled last year, we were racing.

A plan was hatched with the other girls from Canberra, although conditions would prove that the plan wouldn't be enough.

The course was perfect for me- tiny bit technical, power climb for each lap, fast front straight and a windy back straight that would mean position position position! 30 laps were to be completed, with sprints every even lap. I made a decision early that I wasn't interested in an intermediate sprint, saving everything for the end.

Sunshining

Weather conditions were amazing: we started in sunshine with standing water (quite deep in places), wind, stronger wind, gusting wind, raining and then pouring and then the sun was out again. Oh how I love Geelong weather!!
Cats and dogs
(I promise this is the same race!!! And that my socks are actually white!)


The race itself was without incident. I rode position well and overall I was happy that I rode a smart, strong race. However, I ran out of gears in the final sprint- it was slightly down hill, with an incredible tailwind and a fast moving bunch of about 25 girls! I was on the perfect wheel, and am disappointed to not have been able to capitalise on that, finishing 16th in the wash up. On the upside, I am satisfied with how the race went technically.

Unfortunately as you may have heard, an over eager photographer stepped in to the path of the oncoming bunch bringing down a number of girls (more info here). There were a number of serious injuries and I wish all the girls involved a very speedy recovery.

Big thanks to: Glenn and Brent for all your support over the weekend; my half way houses in Wodonga and Albury; Geelong bed friend; and Brian for coaching excellence.

No comments: