Aug 20, 2010

How's your tenacity?

Geelong Tour / Victorian Road Titles
13-15 August
Portarlington, Anakie & Geelong

First up- 20km ITT along the waterfront in Portarlington.
Feeling pretty confident with my form coming in to this weekend, I was pumped and eager to race. Unfortunately, I let myself down and made the classic time trialing mistake of going out too hard and dying on the way back. I can honestly say that I have never fallen victim to this evil before today, and I will be doing my damnedest to ensure it doesn't happen again.

There was a cracking tailwind for the outward 10km and I got a bit carried away trying to take advantage of that. Obviously it was going to be a headwind for the return leg, but somehow I just didn't factor that in. Despite Glenn's constant encouragement from the follow car, I had nothing to give in the final 7km.

On paper, it probably wasn't that bad- I finished in 7th, 37 sec down on first place and with an average speed over 40 kph. Most people would be satisfied with that. But, I know I could have/should have / would have been better! What I can be happy with is that I was mentally able to dig very deep to get to the end in a respectable time. My body was screaming at me to just stop, but I was able to rise above that and get to the end. (it may not have been very far past the end, but I got there!)

Thanks Glenn for follow car and disc, Brent for mechanical attention and Brian for wheels and keeping me on track!

No comments: