Jul 10, 2011

Racing as training

DBR Tour, or should that be an attempted tour.

When the new world coaching order began, this tour was set as a target to see what I was capable of. At last year's addition I was third on the ITT, Amy Cure topped the podium and Jo Hogan was 2nd. I knew what I was capable on the ITT course.

Unfortunately for the month leading up to the tour I wasn't able to train properly. (See the post below about that). I was acutely aware that I was going to be seriously underdone for the tour.

I had contemplated withdrawing, but you know, sometimes you just can't help yourself. With oral surgery set for the following Thursday I set some strict conditions on myself- in particular any sign that I was getting run down or potentially getting sick, I was out. It wouldn't matter if that meant only doing the ITT, I have to be well on Thursday.

The forecast for the weekend was pretty horrendous. Friday morning looked like this outside my backdoor! Fortunately the sun came out and the wind stayed down (relatively) for the women and the disc wheels could go on!


Given the prep that I'd had, I really can't be unhappy with the time trial I rode. I gave it absolutely everything I had, which all anyone can ask for. I saw some good improvements on the flat and descending sections, but there is a lot of work to do on the climbs. At the end of the day I was a little over a minute down on local champ Allison Rice who took the win, and 15th on the stage.

Not a bad result, but I am trying to stop myself asking, what if I had been fully fit and ready, what would have/could have happened then?

No comments: