Jul 9, 2010

DBR Women and Juniors' Tour- Day 1

Stage 1: 15km ITT
Friday 2 July 2010



The weather on Friday had been so promising. It was still and the sun was out. The weather man had forecast showers, but they weren't due until late. I figured with a start time of 2:10 I would be safe from rain. How wrong I was. 2 minutes into my warm, I was scrambling to get my bike under cover and wondering if my long sleeve skinnie was going to be enough!

Little did I know that this was just the start of the weather consideration for the weekend!!

But, this weather is all part of the fun of living here and despite it all, I wasn't too troubled by it.

By the time I started it was raining proper and trying to snow. I opted to go with bare legs and a good covering of goanna oil. And I am pleased to say that worked a treat.

I had one of those rides that just felt awesome. If you are a cyclist, and in particular a time trialist, you will understand that. It was one of those rides where the pain is pure pleasure and you get to tick all the boxes. In hindsight there are things that might have been done a little better, but at the time, it all felt right.

I was one of the earlier starters so it was a long wait to find out what the final result was. There were time checks coming from the turn around, but as it is a course that I generally negatively split I wasn't being mentioned much. I was pretty much all packed up and ready to head off when the preliminary results went out- 2nd overall to Amy Cure and 1st elite female! Not a result I was expecting, but happy to take that! However, that was a preliminary result and it wasn't quite right... they had forgotten Jo Hogan who had slotted between myself and Amy. Still on the podium, so not complaining at all!

That was all the motivation I needed to get through the rest of the weekend!

No comments: