Jul 28, 2010

Oops, I did it again

NSW ITT Titles.
Somersby, NSW
Sunday 25 July 2010


About this time last year, this happened. It was time to see whether I could do it again.

Due to work on the Calga course, we were on a new course for this year’s edition. On the profile, it looked to be a cracker- no major climbs and overall downhill. Despite a head cold at the start of the week, I had had an excellent lead up to this event and was feeling reasonably confident. We took a drive over the course on Saturday afternoon and identified that whist there wasn’t any difficult climbs there were a few places that dragged a bit and would require some time out of the saddle.

Race day dawned and revealed perfect TT weather- sunny, but not too hot and no wind. Well, there was no wind while I warmed up but it picked up a little before I started, although in the end it was not enough to trouble me.

The race went according to plan, and was largely a blur! I descended like a demon and took all the technical parts perfectly. The only thing I would have liked to have been better was my climbing, whilst it wasn’t bad, I just didn’t dance as well as I could have over the crests.

If you haven’t figured it out, I successfully defended my title, taking the gold by over a minute! It was a super fast ride, with my average speed well over 40 kph, with maximum speed over 70 kph (yes, I may have been speeding on some parts of the course!!)

After such a cracking ride, the only thing I have to complain about is the traffic on the road! For various reasons I wish the roads had of been closed, or at the very least that there had been more traffic controllers. Please, NSW Cycling if you are reading, you have to do something about that!

Special thanks to Mick and all the guys at Onya Bike Belco and Civic for the tireless support and keeping me decked out, Brian (coach) for excellent guidance, Glenn (ACTAS) for generous equipment loans and Soigny/Mechanic/all-round good guy, Matt! You guys are awesome!!


No comments: