Jul 9, 2010

DBR Women and Juniors' Tour- Day 2 cont

Criterium
Saturday 3rd July 2010 Afternoon

Prior to the start of the afternoon stage, Brian and I discussed the weather. It would seem that it had been around 0 celcius when we had started the morning stage! Wow, I thought it was warmer than that, but then I am kind of used to training in -5 celcius. We then discussed what the mercury was doing then, at 2pm. It had made it to double digits... it was 10C!!! That settled it, short sleeves it was!

The crit went something like this: pace on, pace off, pace on, pace off, pace on, pace off. It was clear very early on that no one was going to be allowed to get away and so long as you were in a decent spot in the bunch you would get sucked along when the attack was chased. Apart for rolling through my turns accordingly early, I ventured to the front in the second part of the race and tried to lift the speed. I wasn't trying to get away, just to try and flick a few people off the back and thin things out a little.

Pretty sure any effect I, and the others who had tried a similar thing, had was eroded when 2 local roos ventured onto the track with 2 laps to go. Race neutralised until Skippy and friend were out of the way! Anyone dagged previously, back in the bunch. Hmmm. Oh well, that is racing in the bush capital!

As anticipated, it was a bunch sprint. Unfortunately thanks to Skippy I was not in the best position and to do a fair bit of moving through the bunch before the last half lap. In the end, I started my sprint from where I wanted, but just ran out of legs before the finish to roll across in 7th.

It really is all about position, position, position. Never satisified unless there is a posium involved, but I can't be disappointed as I rode the race I planned to race and ticked all the pre-race boxes.

No comments: