Jul 10, 2010

DBR Women and Juniors' Tour- Day 3

Road Race #2: SFP to Uriarra Homestead to Coppins Crossing to Camp Sturt and back to SFP ~80 km
Sunday morning 4th July 2010

The final stage of the tour started in very thick fog and hence very limited visibility and it stayed that way for about two thirds of the race. Needless to say the descents into Uriarra Crossing were with trepidation by the bunch!Coupled with the alertness required to navigate the fog, today’s stage was all about position, position, position. Unfortunately, I lapsed a little on this one.

On the way back from the homestead I found myself in a position that I wasn’t happy with, much too far from the front of the bunch. This in turn meant I was too far at the back of the bunch when the split happened up the three sisters. And, the chase was on. Luckily the chase group formed quickly and (mostly) everyone was prepared to work hard. We chased hard and at times it looked promising that we might get there. But, that was not to be. In the end our chase group came in about 2 ½ minutes behind the front bunch.

In the final wash up I was 16th overall, a little lower than I was hoping, but still a result that I am pretty happy with. It was a tough weekend, but I am definitely seeing some major improvements in my climbing and overall tour racing, so I really can’t complain.

Next up, defense of my NSW ITT title, bring it on!

No comments: