Nov 1, 2011

Getting the balance right


The lack of posting is not the result of lack of riding.  Quite the contrary, in fact.  The last few weeks I have managed to clock some excellent training hours, which is made even more satisfying as I have just come through a particularly stressful period at work.  To give you an idea, in the last 2 weeks I managed to log 20 hours of flex (or overtime if you are not APS minded).  This may not seem like a lot, but when you try to combine it with a 12-15h hour training load, it gets fairly hectic.  What has helped this time around was an understanding of my limitations.


Unfortunately, when the same ambition that drives you on the bike also drives you in the work place, this can lead to some major unbalancing- training goals aren’t met and often illness prevails.  A challenge was put to me to not over-achieve at work so that my cycling could flourish, but I am afraid I am just not wired that way.  I have had to come up with a different approach.


Earlier in the year I parted ways with Coach Brian and one of the key reasons for that was that I wasn’t able to get the balance right between work, life and bike (the holy trilogy).  Consequently all 3 aspects were suffering and I wasn’t getting the results I thought I deserved. Since I got back on the bike in August my focus has been on quality over quantity with my training, and trying to be a bit more realistic about how much time I have available for the “holy trilogy” and the most significant other of all, rest. 


From my experience over the years I have been able to take cherry pick all the bits that work for me and really focus my training to get the most out of the time I have available.  I am grateful for these different influences on my training; I have definitely learnt something from each of them.  I have picked the races that I want to focus on, with an emphasis on the ones that I enjoy and will challenge me, ie track racingJ.  


Most importantly, I have learnt to listen to my body.  I have learnt the difference between, I am exhausted from a long day at work and I am exhausted from 4 hard days in the saddle and can structure my training accordingly.  The greatest hindrances I have to my training from work are stress and lack of relaxation.  These have been the hardest to manage, but I am getting there with various levels of assistance.


Admittedly it can be a bit of a struggle to maintain motivation when there isn’t an external guiding force on your training, as there is only yourself to answer to.  But, that is where goal-setting and personal expectations really come into their own.  I am not ashamed to say that I have some pretty lofty goals at the moment.  They are challenging, but if I can retain the current momentum, they are definitely achievable.


What is obvious from this experience, there is a reason why most elite sports people don’t have traditional professional careers.  Getting the balance right takes a lot of energy.  Workplaces are full of unexpected surprises that can turn an easy day into a day from hell.  And, despite my repeated requests/threats, taking a nap under the desk after your 3 hours morning session, just isn’t accepted.

No comments: