Nov 19, 2011

That was harder than it looks

On Saturday 12 November Sue Powell (World Para TT & RR Champ) and I raced the NSW Clubs Team Sprint.  Yes, that is as ridiculous as it sounds.  I hope I don't have to explain to you why that is ridiculous.  I will give you one clue- enduros.

Anyway, what became apparent to us, and since we have done one team sprint we are obviously experts, there is a whole lot more to it than just riding one or two laps as fast as you can.  From my perspective as the second rider, there was the timing of the start to ensure I was onto Sue's wheel; then there was the riding of the lap on Sue's wheel; timing as Sue pulling off; and finally finishing off the second lap.  I am sure there is even more to it than that, but for the first bash at this event that is enough.

Most of the aforementioned points were OK, what really let me down was the timing of Sue pulling up and me coming through.  Thanks to my experience in bunch racing, as Sue started to fade at the end of her lap, instead of starting to move under her, I backed off- oops.  The loss of momentum is likely enough to have cost us a second ride in the finals.  In a well oiled team, there would be no hesitation, there would be absolute precision in the transition and no time lost.

For Sue and I, it was a "hit and giggle" event, as well as an opportunity to get some precious time on the boards.  But it gave us a renewed respect for Anna and Kaarle's domination of the event.  The hours to get the timing right. The absolute trust in the other. The precision.  They are more than worthy winners of the AIS Team of the Year.  Congratulations girls!







No comments: