Jul 20, 2008

"Did you two play trains?"

CCC Mini Mike- 52km scratch race, Sunday 20th July

Today was my first road race back. Until today the longest ride I had done on the road was 55km, so I wasn't all that keen to race the 83km Iron Mike. I met up with Narelle to cruise out to the race and on my way to meet here noticed the temperature at the ABC studios- 3C! It was cold! Especially cold compared to Dapto yesterday!

After a bit of "discussion" with the club president about my grading for today- normally I would ride women's A grade, but given I hadn't seen a hill in months I thought it would be better to enter a race that I could finish then start a race knowing I was probably going to pull out.

The Women's B race had about 12 people start and we stayed together until the climb out of Uriarra Crossing. Surprisingly I got out of the crossing pretty comfortably and was feeling pretty good along the false flat. We rolled along at a pretty comfortable speed to where we thought we should be turning around. Gracie (Miesel-Dennis) and I commented that we thought we should have seen the other bunches ahead of us and that it was odd we hadn't. Down into Condor Creek where the turn around should have been and there was no one there! This was the advertised turn around, but obviously wasn't what was actually happening today! The turn around ended up being about 5km further down the road at the end of the sealed road, and, incidentally up another hill! That climb felt pretty good, I found a good rhythm and away I we went, again dropping some more girls.

After the turnaround there was a long descent along road that hadn't seen any sun and it was cold! In fact it was at this point that I realised I hadn't really gotten warm and was wishing for spectators, a la Le Tour, to hand me a newspaper ;) Back along the false flat and we were a group of 5 through the crossing. I was heading towards the box as we began the ascent of the three sisters, but was determined to make it to the finish with Gracie. Over one sister and then the second, that was alright, backed it off a little for the third one and was pleased to be over them; the bunch was down to 4. Gracie had been looking to go off the front as we went over each of the hills, but I didn't have the hill legs. There was one more rise in front of us and the suggestion was made that we could drop the other 2, knowing that it was relatively flat for the final 7 km away we went. We left the other 2 girls with ease and continued to play trains all the way to the finish. My intention had been that the 2 of us dead heat over the line, but I didn't realise that Gracie had run out of gears (U17 restricted) before the line and I ended up about a 1/4 wheel ahead- sorry Gracie!

Oops, I had burgled B grade women, not really my intention, I just wanted to be out racing!

Overall pretty happy with my first race back, and first win in the Onya jersey. My body held up to the ride in the hills pretty well, seems as though I haven't lost too much from being confined to the ergo. My wrist was a little sore and swollen, which had been expected after the conversation with Phil on Friday, but I think in the long term this would have been very good for building the strength up again.

Found Susie hanging around the finish line and decided that I was still cold and it must be time for coffee! Despite opting for the shorter race, I managed over 90km for the day and about 4 hours of ride time. I will sleep very well tonight :)

No comments: