Jul 20, 2008

Timetrialing in the sun

Illawarra Club Time Trial Championships, Saturday 19th July.

It was an early start to the day to make sure we got the obligatory trip to the Farmers Markets done before heading off to Dapto. There was also a quick trip out to Onya Bike Belco to grab some new sunglasses and shop jersey- thanks for opening the shop early Mick! Then the Tardis was packed with everything that I needed for the race along with Matt's parents who were coming along to watch.
Matt's mum and dad, Alan & Sandra- up there amongst my top supporters!

The 2 and a bit hour drive ended up with a temperature change of about 10 degrees- I still can't believe how much warmer it was on the coast compared to Canberra. I had packed all my longs and my wind vest and ended up racing in just my skinsuit! The trip took a little longer than anticipated so it was a bit of a rushed warm up and prep, but it was alright in the end.

Right: They're nice sunglasses! Thanks for the Serfas Miradors Mick, they're awesome!

It was about 26min after the first rider went off that I was away- the long course riders had headed off first for their 2 laps and I was about the 5th last away.

There was a cracking tail wind to get us going for the first 5km, which helped make up for the shortened warm up. At 4.5 km the course took a sharp right and headed along for another 4.5 km, but with a bit of a head-crosswind and a bit more undulating. Just after the bend a guy who, from his number, should have started about 1 min after me, came past- where did he come from?!! I kept with him pretty much until the turn around atop of a little steep bump then had to recover a little and away he went. The return along that stretch of road had a bit of tail-crosswind so a good chance to get some recovery and my legs were feeling pretty good despite the undulations. It was along this stretch that the guy from 30sec in front of me, whom I had caught on the way out, started to hang around and annoy me! He was obviously stronger on the hills, but I was getting away the rest of the time. Was a bit distracting but also helped to drive me as I was not going to let him pass me and get away! Back through the left hand turn and onto the final 5km. Whilst I think this was overall downhill, the same cracking tailwind from the way out was now a block headwind to the finish line. I was still feeling pretty good and managed to stay focussed on keeping in front of this guy hanging around my rear wheel! Despite my best efforts the wind pulled my average speed d0wn- I as aiming for 40kph but had to settle for 39kph in the end, must have been Susie's wheels that made the difference there! The final 100m to the finish line involved an all out sprint from me to ensure that this guy who had been hanging around from getting over me at the end (yes I know I had already beat him, but there were people there to watch me and you have to look good for them!!).
I told you, you are not going over the line in front of me!!
Above left: Only 29mins to go!

I think I can safely say that I had nothing left at the end of this race so I had timed it all well and all in all I was pretty happy with how it all panned out. The bike ran like an absolute treat, except for the bars moving due to the very very rough road! In the end I was about 5th fastest overall from a mainly male field, and I was happy!

This morning's process was reversed and the Tardis got us home in time for Ana's graduation party.

No comments: