Jul 6, 2009

Patiently Impatient

DBR Australia ACT Women and Juniors Tour
NRS Event
Stage 1: 15.5km ITT
Friday 3rd July
Temperature dropping and WINDY! (Typical Canberra weather.)

After last weekend's showings I was pretty gee'd for the TT stage of the tour. I knew I wasn't in much form for the rest of the tour with all the commotion at the start of the year, but I was going to have a red hot go at this stage.

Race prep was pretty much perfect. I had the day off work to go through all my pre-race habits and was fairly well set when 2:33:30 rolled around. I would be lying if I said I hadn't been nervous about this event, I always find that with the "big ones", and even more so on home soil- something about local expectations...

Going through the motions of the warm up

The wind out on course made it incredibly tough at times, it seemed to be coming constantly either as a cross or head wind, never did it seem to be a tailwind! So typical of Canberra!

At the time I felt I was riding pretty well, but in retrospect, I am not that happy with it. There are few things that I need to work on and by no stretch of the imagination was this my best TT. I know that this was but a small step on the way to target events, but as always, never happy unless there is at least a podium! Patiently impatiently!! If this was the absolute best, then there would be no point persisting, but this result encourages me to persist and keeps me driven.

In the end I finished 6th overall, 4th for the Elite women's category.

Out of the start gate.
I was glad to have my long sleeve skinsuit and knee warmers on!
(Photos from Andrew Stainley, ACTAS)

No comments: