Jul 2, 2009

Pretty sure a gel on the start line is a warm-up... right?

Goulburn CC ITT 37km
Windellama (Road)
Cold, wind increasing, rain just holding off until we finished!
28 June 2009

Backing up after the performance at Dapto involved an overnight stay in Goulburn to reduce the amount of time spent on the road.

After careful planning of what time we needed to leave to get to the start, which I believed to be in Windellama, a small locality about 30km from Goulburn, we settled into our hotel room to watch the Wallabies thrash the Italians.

The problem really started when we couldn't find anyone else that looked like they would be racing a bike around Windellama. A quick phone call back to Canberra to get contact numbers in Goulburn revealed that we were completely in the wrong place and in fact were 30 km from the start line!! And about 30 minutes from scheduled start time!! Thankfully they called the race organisers and let them know we were on our way.

Record timing to get into my skinsuit, register and wheels on bike. I had about 1 minute to get to the line by the time I was dressed. I rapidly inhaled my gel and got to the line. Fingers crossed that I wasn't too stiff from yesterday and that I would get through this rather long TT!!

I made the conscious decision to ride conservatively on the outward leg to try and get myself warmed up. Despite this "conservative" approach I still posted a pretty tidy split and felt remarkably good. I even managed to remember to drink and feed, something I am unaccustomed to doing as most of the TTs for women are less than 30km.
Prize for winning B-grade=>
The return leg was more aggressive and I was happy to record a negative split, even with the ever strengthening cross-head wind! I had set myself a target of 1 hour for this course, without any real basis, and was happy to have gone 24 seconds over that target given the "warm-up" I had had, and the fact that I was backing up after smashing myself at Dapto!

The SRM data, and the follow car driver (Thanks Matt) both said that I had ridden smoothly and consistently- you can't ask for much more! And the final results said that I had posted the 2nd fastest time of the day (which was fastest female, but I was the only one!) and I had accidentally burgled B-grade (I never know when racing away from home!!).

Thanks to the Goulburn CC for a very well run race and friendly faces, despite the miserable weather! The post race food was most welcome!

Results:

Windeallama Road Time Trials - 36km

28th June 2009

Place Grade Name Time




1 b Rebecca Barwick 1.00.25.30
1 a William Lind 58.42.10
3 b Phil Katen 1.05.40.79
2 b Mark Gibson 1.05.24.52
3 a Jason Mahoney 1.00.31.44
5 a Noel Barrett 1.04.07.19

a Kerry Baxter 1.04.12.82
2 a Jerry Gilchrist 1.00.28.07
4 a Ben Hay 1.02.35.65
4 b Adam Lambert 1.08.54.37
1 c Chris Bushell 1.15.18.29



Course details:

No comments: