Dec 16, 2009

Flat out and then some more.

Victorian Scratch Race and Austral Carnival


After a cancelled flight and a shuffle from Virgin Blue to QANTAS, I eventually got to Melbourne!


The Victorian Scratch Race was the first race on the program. I decided to go with a 94 as it was super hot and the track was fast. As far as scratch races go, it was pretty uneventful. Liz Geogouras attacked a few times, which I went with, but the bunch didn’t want to let us go. Towards the end of the race I attacked with Liz on my wheel, maybe a bit too late for it to stick and a bit too early for the sprint, but again the bunch didn’t want to let that go either. So it came down to a bunch sprint, and that meant the sprinters got up- Fatehah Mustapa (Malaysia), Rosy McCall (NZ), Miranda Laidlaw 3rd, Liz 4th, myself/Nicole Whitburn 5th.


After that was a bit of carnival racing. A 15 lap handicap points race, I ended up 2nd to Nicole. A 6 lap wheelrace- 6th I think. Keirin heats- 2nd to Fatehah and then the Keirin finals which I didn’t read properly and sat up with about half a lap to go. All of this was crammed into 3 and a-bit hours (including the scratch race). It was a whole lot of fun, but it was a pretty tiring day in the end. There was also a bit of a rush to get events finished which meant the keirin went from 6 to 4 laps, we had to get out of the track for Revolution to get set up!

No comments: