Dec 21, 2009

You are what you train for

Victorian Points Race Championship
Saturday 19 December 2009

And the points race has certainly not been the focus this summer.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good points race, but at the moment a sprint for me involves winding it up from 2.5 laps out, which multiplied by the number of sprints in the race is just not a formula for success.

Today's race was tough. There was no chance of taking a lap as Rosy McCall, Nicole Whitburn and myself knew that if one went the others would too. The two young girls, Miranda Laidlaw and Laine Hammond, were content to battle over the sprint laps. Consequently the sprint laps were pretty tightly contested.

It seemed that most of us preferred a long wind up, which suited me, and most of the sprints were very tight across the line. Unfortunately for me, I let myself fall into the getting boxed position after winning one of the sprints which saw me squeezed out of points a couple of times.

In the end, I was fifth. Nicole took a well deserved win, Rosy was second and on a countback Laine was third (her and Miranda were equal on points).

I am a little frustrated by this outcome, there are a few too many, "if I had just done this..." thoughts after this race, but the reality is that I can't be disappointed, this was about time on boards and a bit of variety coming into Nationals Season!

Just remember, you are what you train for!

No comments: