Feb 18, 2010

Just like the textbook says

Club Crit Champs, 17.2.2010

When things go as planned and the objective achieved, it makes for a very satisfying ride.

It was club champs night out at Stromlo Forest Park. Being back into the full swing of training for 2 days, I was hoping to get to the end of the race, with a distant thought of defending my Vikings Crit Champ title from 2009.

The race was scheduled to be about 23 minutes plus 2 laps, although that was shortened due to the brown snake taking up residence on the 2nd last corner (credit to Brian and his broom for keeping it off the track while racing happened). The pace was reasonably high, but still comfortable. Bron (Ryan) was attacking regularly but the other girls weren't letting anything get away despite my trying to stop them. At one point, I attacked and Bron came with and we thought that we might have got away with it, but no. sigh.

It was apparent to me that it wasn't worth me trying to go up the road, so I found myself a nice safe spot to be in the bunch and pretended to be a sprinter trying to avoid the front. With about 2 minutes of time remaining, the plan was hatched. Bron would attack once more, and knowing that the bunch wasn't going to let that happen and she would be back with us, she would lead me out.

Two laps to go, away went Bron, and for just a little while, it looked like she might have got a way with it. But the others decided that wasn't right and went and got her. Coming through for the bell, I had myself nicely attached to Bron's wheel and away we went. I can't really tell you what was going on behind me, but from where I was sitting it, the only person who could have stuffed up a podium finish was me!

Being the awesome time trialer that she is, Bron did a fantastic job winding me up to speed. At one point I was actually worried that I wouldn't be able to hold the wheel after my recent time off, but there was nothing to worry about there (thankfully!). I stepped off Bron's wheel as we came out of the last corner, just like the textbook would say, and lit it up from there.

As for what happened next...


That is gold, if you can't tell.

Thanks Bron, you're a star!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Congratulations!!! The Gold is a great way to show off all of your hard work! :)

Anonymous said...

Yea Gold is such a good colour on you Congratulation !!!

Reno said...

Congratulations Bec - deserved.