Feb 1, 2010

Rattle

In the process of developing some bike love after an interesting couple of weeks, I went off to do a CORC advanced mountain bike course for ladies. Ahh, to the darkside I went!

By way of background, in the last 12 months, I have ridden my mountain bike about 4 times, including two dirt crits in the last two weeks. Thus, I was perfectly prepared for this course!!

Anyway, off I went. I got through the first few things, no dramas and was having a whole lot of fun. Then our instructor extrodinaire, Mick, decided it was time that we tackled something a bit more challenging. About 2/3 of the way down the world champs 4X track at Stromlo Forest Park, there is a pile of rocks packed with dirt, about 2 metres high. (All measurements are purely subjective and I am not making any claim to accuracy!!). After a couple of poor attempts to go over this, I finally nailed it. Not satisified with ticking this off the list, I went back for seconds...

I had a good run to the top and I was ready to go down the other side. The trick with this pile of rocks, is that there is one good line down. On this attempt, I didn't find this line! My front wheel got stuck! Instinctively I grabbed a fistful of front brake! Before I knew over the handlebars I went and heading head first towards the rocks and dirt below! Maybe a fall of about 3 feet, maybe more, maybe less.

Growing up riding horses I instinctively protected my head and didn't stick my hands out, thus saving my wrists and my face from getting cut up. However, this move left my ribs and lateral knee clearly exposed to the rocks. Bruised, winded and missing a bit of bark, I lay on the ground for a little while before heading off for morning tea!

I rode through the rest of the day, perhaps foolishly, but I was having fun and where necessary I sat things out.

CORC put on a fansastic day and everyone got a lot out of it. Thanks everyone!

As for me, my ribs and my knee hurts! No sneezing, coughing, laughing, squating or kneeling!

No comments: